03/15/2019 (2698)

Reply From Sandy Lopez (’64):  Rockford IL


Thanks for your continued effort to keep us updated on all the Dunseith news.

More importantly, we also appreciate the valiant effort of caring for your sweet Bernadette. We continue to keep both of you, your family and the other caregivers in our prayers.

We have become much more aware of these debilitating and insidious long term diseases as my sister has succumbed to Alzheimer’s and they live far away from the rest of the family, so they do not have the support of “the village” that it takes to manage the care. We are having a family reunion soon to see what we can do to help.

In communal prayer

Sandy Lopez


Gary’s comment

Thanks’ Sandy for the nice comments and this rely.

We are so sorry to hear of your sister’s bout with Alzheimer’s too. Did she ever attend Dunseith?

Bernadette is better, but still isn’t able to walk or talk clearly. She easily tires and is often confused, especially when going out. She can eat and swallow her food now, but often times refuses and askes to be fed thru her feeding tube. When that happens, they just put her food in a blender and feed her thru her feeding tube.

Yesterday she wanted to go out, so we took her to Bigby’s. Bernadette hadn’t been there for quite some time. We used to be there 2 or more times per week. She was confused all the way going there but recognized the staff when we got there. They welcomed her back with a slice of cake. She ordered fish-n-chips, her favorite. She ate all the fish and some of the fries. Of course Tata had to feed her.

Tata has been with us for over 15 years now. She knows us better than we know ourselves. Mirasol, Bernadette’s niece, has been with us for 6 years now. She too is very good working and taking care of Bernadette. We have another gal, Marites, for the evening shift. Tata is on call 24/7. Mirasol is 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM every day. Marites 5:00 to 9:00 PM every day. Tata’s husband, Aldren, also works for us full time. He takes care of the outside cleaning and maintenance. We, without a doubt, have the cleanest, well-kept place in the Cebu.

As you can see in the pictures, Tata and Bernadette are very close. I’m number one in Bernadette’s life. Tata is number two.
Stokes-1 Stokes-2 Stokes-3


Blog (771) posted on April 12, 2010

Dunseith Alumni Caribbean Cruise in February 2012

Folks, Following our reunion in May we’ll be shifting focus to our Caribbean Cruise. We are making plans for Presidents day week in February 2012. As soon as the Cruise schedules come out, probably later this year, we will be selecting a cruise line and a cruise. We have not yet decided if we’ll be going East or West in the Caribbean. Please reply with any preferences and ideas that you may have. Bill Grimme, Phyllis McKay, Bernadette and I will be the group leaders for this cruise. This will for sure be another great event. For those of you living a bit north, this will be a good winter break. In mentioning this cruise to a few of our friends here in the PI, several of them want to join us as well. They’ve got their calendars marked. Gary


Bryan Schimetz (77) contact number.
Brian is suffering with MS. He is in Triumph Mandan Hospital.
Message from Mark Schimetz (70): Rolette, ND.

Gary the Triumph Care Center’s phone number for Bryan Schimetz’s room is 1-701-667-4087. I know that Bryan would like to hear from his friends that are unable to come to see him at this time, especially Donna Striker. They have been good friends all his life. Bryan is being kept as comfortable as is possible.


Reply to Bryan Schimetz (77):
From Rhonda Hiatt (75): Battle Ground, WA.

Hi Gary,


It’s been awhile since I have replied on here. I try to keep up with the latest everyday, though I do get behind.

Bryan along with his family are definitely in my prayers as he and they go through this very difficult time. I graduated with Kim in 75 and worked with Bryan at Dales and he was just the best cook and the best to work with. I really just loved working with him. No matter how crazy busy we were he never got all worked up or lost his cool. Awhile back you had posted his e-mail address so we could send Birthday wishes. I sent one but if I remember right, his mailbox was full. I knew that everyone else had done the same thing. I tried a few times after that, so don’t know if he got it or not. To Bryan, Kim, and the rest of the Schimetz family, My thoughts and Prayers are with you.

Rhonda Hiatt

Keith & Alice Pladson will be attending the reunion:
Message from Keith Pladson (66): Stafford, VA

Gary, Just thought I would let you know that Alice and I will be attending the reunion get together/meal in May. I’ve already sent Verena a notice of our planned attendance and a check for our meals. We also intend to include a stop in Superior, WI on the way up to visit with my Aunt Lillian. I spoke with my cousin Ron (one of Lillian’s sons) a few days ago, and he said his Mom is doing pretty well (I think she is 94 years young now), so I’m really looking forward to our trip. It’s a long drive from here to ND (about 1,800 miles each way) but with our stop in Superior on the way up and a stop in Louisville, KY (to visit with Alice’s Mom) on the way back at least we will break up the long drive. We could fly, but with the way the airlines are going, flying is not much fun anymore and by driving we have a lot more freedom to come and go as we please while in ND. Over the years we’ve driven this route many times so we are very used to it. We look forward to seeing you and Bernadette again. Keith

Keith, This is wonderful news that you and Alice will be attending the reunion. You are right, it’s a long trip from VA to Dunseith. We are looking forward to seeing you guys at the reunion and around the area too. Gary


 Dunseith Alumni Alaska Cruise – July 2009
Note: Florence and Keith are siblings. Becky is Florence’s daughter
Minnie Flynn is in the background.

Florence Pladson Sime (62), Keith Pladson (66) & Becky Sime Coles (83)

Update from DeAnn Gottbreht: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/deanngottbreht

Sunday, April 11, 2010 10:56 AM, CDT

Patrick and I left the NICU with Connor at about 3:30 pm on Thursday April 8th. What and exciting day it was! Connor has come such a long way since he was born. He is such a miracle. He is almost 7 lbs now and is growing fast. His reflux is still a problem but the doctors sent us home with his medicine and so far he is doing great. Unfortunately he doesn’t let his parents sleep for very long at a stretch but hopefully that will improve! It is just so nice to finally be at home together as a family.

Chemo is still going pretty well. I had Chemo this last week on Thursday so it was nice to get it out of the way before we picked up Connor. Only 5 more treatments to go of this stuff and after that I’ll have a chemo once every 3 weeks for a year. I’m just hoping the chemo won’t ware me out to much since Connor is a lot of work right now. It’s a good thing Patrick and I can always get a little help from Grandparents when we need it! We are really looking forward to putting these treatments behind us so we can finally spend time at home as a family and not have all this traveling every week.

Thanks again everyone for all of your support. It was a long journey for us with Connor in the NICU for 41 days but that phase of our lives is behind us and things are only going to get better