Cheri Metcalfe Evans (74) reply to Trish Larson Clayburgh (73):
Gary, This a wonderful thing you have going here. I hope you continue with it. I was born in Bottineau (Sam Tooke and I on the same day, in the same hospital, so he is one of my oldest friends!!) We moved to Washington when I was two years old. My father is Jim Metcalfe (junior). My grandparents were Jim and Ella Metcalfe. We came back to Dunseith in 1972, just after the Dragons took second at the state tournament.
Anyway my response to Trish-yes, I was in that pageant. Don’t you remember? There were ten contestants and I came in at eleventh?? lol. Cindy Metcalfe was also in that pageant.
To Neola-thank-you for sharing the picture of Ernest Tennancour. I printed it off and gave it to my husband, Jim Evans. Ernest was his grandfather and he really enjoyed seeing the picture.
To Tim Martinson-It was great to hear of your memories of time spent at the farm. Jim and I still live there and raised our kids there. David (our son) and his friends spent a lot of time building forts in those same cottonwoods, and building “rafts” to float down the creek. Jim’s mother, Alice is in the nursing home and unfortunately her memory is not good, But I asked her if she remembered you and she said “yes, but he hasn’t been by to see me lately”. When I mentioned the cinnamon rolls she smiled as if it were something she could remember.
So, thank-you for the memories and bringing Dunseith folk back together
Happy New Year, Cheri (Metcalfe) Evans ’74
Cheri’s follow up message:
I just realized that I mentioned that the Dragons took second in the state B-ball tournament in 1972. I believe they took fifth. They were always first in our die hard dragon fan hearts!!
Cheri Evans-74
Gary Stokes’ comments to Cheri:
Cheri, you mentioned Cindy Metcalfe Miller (74) as being in that pageant also. I have not yet gotten Cindy on our distribution list. Craig and Cindy were neighbors to my folks years, in Bottineau, before moving to Lake Metigoshe. Great folks. We do have her sister Vickie Metcalfe (70) on our distribution. My dad, being an animal lover, loved Vickie’s two little dogs and also Cindy’s bigger dog.
Allen Richard’s (65) Reply to Trish Larson (73)
I think that was about the time Jo Ann Hill was in the Miss Bottineau/Miss Peace Garden Pagent. She did a comedy routine for Dorothy Parker called “The Dance.” She didn’t win–She could probably blame that on her coach————–
Allen Richard
Phyllis McKay’s (65) reply to a message that Gary Stokes (65) sent her:
Hi Gary, I put out my back and have not been able to sit at my computer for any length of time. I helped my son move from his third story apartment, decorated the outside of my house with lights, cleaned and decorated the interior of my house for the holidays. The chiropractors said I had done to much!! I had a party scheduled for the evening that my back went out. My sister, Minnie Mary came over to be the host while I sat and gave directions. My next party was the following Saturday. Several of my friends came early and got everything ready for that party. Thank goodness for family and friends in your times of need! In the mean time I could not teach school and spent my time going to the chiropractor, heating and icing my back. I did return to work just before the Christmas break. I am well on the mend now, doing exercises daily to strengthen my lower back muscles to help to relieve the stress on the vertebrae that have lost the cushion between them.

I have enjoyed the stories about Dunseith from some of the older alumni. I do not know some of them personally but have heard about them through my older sisters and brothers. Many of them were gone off to college or ?? when I was growing up. I was always one of those McKay kids to them.

Gary, your account of the Philippine New Year sounded absolutely intriguing! How fortunate you have been to have the opportunity to experience such a cultural celebration. Your story about the demise of the pig reminded me of the same activity being performed at my house when I was growing up. It was a big occasion and relatives came to help with the dirty deed. The day before the pigs were going to hog heaven, I would feel so sorry for them that I would go out to the pig pen and sing to them through the fence. Of course I did not go into the pen because I had been cautioned that the pigs might eat me if I were to fall down in the pig pen!! We did not have many pigs so they were almost pets. When the old sow would have a batch of piglets, we would hold them, bottle feed them and generally love those little pink sweet smelling babies. As they grew into wiener pigs, we would scratch their sides so often that when they saw us, they would flop down on their sides waiting for us to scratch them with a stick. We have a picture of my sister riding one of her pet pigs! Living on the farm, taught you that animals that might have been pets to you, were food to mom and dad.

Thank you for your concern for me! I don’t know how you are able to keep track of everyone now that you have added so many more people to your e-mail list.



Gary’s Reply to Phyllis:

Phyllis, Having not heard from you in a while I thought something must be up. Glad to hear that you are on the mend. To keep track of everyone, I try to keep everyone organized by classes in my records. Even doing that, I still make a few stupid mistakes, like when I called Colette Pigeon Schimetz not realizing it was her. I knew Reid, her husband, had passed on several years ago. She had told me that when we talked a few weeks ago. I wasn’t thinking when I was putting Reid’s class list (71) together. I did a find and found a number for him and when Colette answered the phone I asked for Reid. Her response was, “Gary, this is Colette” I knew right away I had pulled a boner and I knew what it was. It turned out to be a good boner though. We had a wonderful chat.


Dale Pritchard’s (63) reply & memories: dale.pritchard@us.army.mil


I remember a lot of people mentioned in the emails going back and forth.
Makes one wonder where they all got off too.

I tried pin setting “one” time at the old Snake Pit. Fortunately, I
came to my senses before a pin knocked some into me. It was dangerous!

I worked on the Grand Forks missile sites in 64 & 65 and spent much time
with Jimmy Birkland and Junior Walter. I saw Junior about 4 years ago
at a church supper in Dunseith but haven’t seen Jimmy since 65. There
again, people go their own ways and lose contact with friends. Boeing
paid my way out to Seattle in April, 66 where Leroy Birkland helped me
find a place to live. I haven’t seen him since but will always
appreciate his help.

Uncle Sam caught up to me in 66 also. Since I had to go in the Service
I joined the Air Force instead – one day before I was supposed to report
for the Army. So, I spent my “former life” in the Air Force and reading
Bill Hosmer’s emails about the Thunderbirds brought back some memories.
In 73, I spent 9 weeks on the Thunderbird C-130 (AF cargo plane) support
crew from Forbes AFB at Topeka, KS. We hit about 28 states in that time
and I never got enough of the shows. We were on a 30-minute standby at
each show in case we had go get some parts. The professionalism,
dedication and showmanship of that small group of people was awesome.
In Dec 79, I was at Nellis AFB, Las Vegas doing something for the AF
when 6 of the Thunderbirds “went in” at the same time. The base shut
down for about 2 hours of silence. It was a sad day but there’s no way
to relate to what the families had to go through.

I parted ways with the Air Force in Nov 86 after 20 years and 3 months.
From a former “udder” handler also, and your closest neighbor to the
South, keep up the good work you’re doing, Gary.
I think it snowballed more than you ever thought it would.

Dale Pritchard (63)

Dale, Yes, you were our closest neighbor to the south and at one time Jim & Ruby Birkland were our closest neighbors to the north. Evon Lagerquist is now living on your home place. Gary


Bob Hosmer’s (56) reply to Larry Hackman (66):
Snake Pit Bowling Alley and the lunch counter were all part of my memory too. I remember being a pin setter for a while. I’m not sure when, but I think I was at least 12 or 13. The ten cents a game was still in vogue. Larry’s description is so accurate I saw it all afresh in my mind. There was also a pinball machine in the back corner of the lunch counter area. We discovered several ways of activating the game without using any coins. One was hitting the underside of the machine under one of the bumper lights, another was using washers the size of coins required or the wide part of those little wood spoons used with dixi icecream cups. I think in the end they removed the pinball machine out completely.
Thanks, Larry, for jogging our memories.
Bob Hosmer
Audrey Hanson Aitchson’s reply – Ruby Kuhn Birkland:
Audrey and her sister Jean Pladson are 1st cousins to Gary Stokes and the Morinville kids. Audrey/Jean and Ruby were next door neighbors in their childhood days.
Yes, lots of memories. Jean and I got a baby raccoon and also Ruby got one. We named ours Ruby after Ruby Kuhn and she named hers Marvin after her brother, Marvin Kuhn. We had fun with ours. She had a litter box in the house and used it like a cat. When we came home she was so happy, she danced around our legs. She lived in the house with us. Finally she got out on the road and got run over.