Request from Don Berg (71): Edina, MN  







Can you please update my email address to dberg@hda-smc.com





Don Berg

Chief Financial Officer

Hybrid Design Associates, LLC

230 South Siesta Lane

Tempe, AZ 85281



I have updated all of my files with your new email address.


Question, I have you listed as currently living in Edina, MN. I noticed your work title has a Tempe, AZ address. Do you commute, of which I know you could very well be doing, from MN to AZ?



Reply from Betty Jane Schneider Lamb (54): Grand Forks, ND

We want to wish everyone good health, happiness, and God’s richest blessings for the New Year.

thank you to everyone for your thoughts and prayers for our family. Our son, Matt, had major heart surgery November 1st in Rochester, Minnesota. After a couple setbacks, he is doing well and hopes to go back to work February 1st.

Bill can vouch for Larry Hackman’s story about his Uncle Gus hauling hay at night being true. Bill’s family lived halfway between Gus’s farm and his hayfield. Bill remembers him having a beautiful team of little horses that he drove in the winter on a cutter. Gus always had sleigh bells on his horses in the winter.

Thank you Gary for all the work that you do . Enjoyed seeing the pictures of your lovely home.

Betty Jane and Bill Lamb

Gus Hackman
Reply from Geri Metcalfe Munro (59): Fargo, ND

Gary–I loved the story Larry wrote about Gus Hackman; but as I recall, Bill and Gus lived together and hauled hay together. We never knew why they hauled hay at midnight or so, but we all knew that they did. My Dad used to call on them and watched out for them. I had forgotten about felts (packs) and maybe even some newspaper in the boots somewhere. Larry should publish his stories. What about Larry’s Uncle Bill Hackman??
Geri Metcalfe Munro ’59

p.s. We are in Mesa, AZ for three months; nice weather, a little cooler—mid 60’s–lots of activities here.



Hay hauling memories

From Leland Stickland (64): Dickinson, ND


My story about hauling hay was one Dad told me. He was headed home with a load. You will recall the curve and the hill just North of Carolle Carlson/Art Seim.
Well the hay did not have a sufficient center of gravity and the rack fell from the sled. Dad had to load that hay twice.
A similar thing occurred for me, trying to get out a ditch and up on the grade. Many bales took their own path/trip so I got more exercise.
I,too, enjoy the writings of each correspondent, See that this blog is numbered 1058, WOW!
Lee (Leland)(Stick)
(number 80 on football team after George Gottbreht graduated. Believe that John Morgan was number 70 ?) Lee


Email exchanges between Larry Hackman (66) & Dick Johnson (68):
Posted by Larry with Dick’s consent: Bismarck, ND

I was in the Homesteader Restaurant on the west side of Minot once and there was a pickup out front with a frozen coyote standing in the box with it’s feet on the top of the end gate like it was going to jump out. I looked around and saw a couple younger guys that I figured the rig belonged to. When they came by, I said, “That rig with the coyote must be yours.” The guy said, “Yeah, according to those women over at the other table, I’m a sick bastard.” We both laughed and he left.



They didn’t happen to be from St. John?



No, I thought they kind of reminded me of a couple of those younger Hackman brothers that ‘runned oft’ to the army back in the mid 60s. Oh boy, those were some characters! Coyotes weren’t safe around those guys. Those two guys could take a coyote with their bare hands—I saw it many times–with my very own eyes. It’s starting to sound like Mel wrote this!


Story from Dick Johnson (68): Dunseith, ND


Gary and Friends,

The story about David Abrahamson and his ‘stuffed’ skunk reminded me of deal we had on a trip to California back in the 60s. We were in an old west town called Sonora and it was geared for tourist trade. There were things to look at on main street and in the window of a barber shop there was a sign that read–‘We Have the Finger of Three Finger Jack–Come in and See’. I went in and asked the barber and he went in the back room and came out with a small white box with a lid on it. He held it in front of me and slowly removed the lid and sure enough there was a human finger laying in cotton. I got down to take a good look and the finger started to twitch and then stood up! The box had a hole in it and he had his own finger through the bottom of the box. I jumped back and he laughed his head off. I wonder how many kids he pulled that one on? Thanks Gary!


Posted by Neoal Kofoid Garbe: Minot & Bottineau, ND

From Trish Larson Wild (73): FORT COLLINS

Hey Gary,

Here’s another joke for the blog. My friend sent it to me, and I think your readers will get a laugh. It gave me a chuckle, but I’m a trauma nurse…..
A pirate walked into a bar, and the bartender said, “Hey, I haven’t seen you in a while. What happened? You look terrible.”

“What do you mean?” said the pirate, “I feel fine.”

“What about the wooden leg? You didn’t have that before.”

“Well,” said the pirate, “We were in a battle, and I got hit with a cannon ball, but I’m fine now.”

The bartender replied, “Well, OK, but what about that hook? What happened to your hand?

The pirate explained, “We were in another battle. I boarded a ship and got into a sword fight.

My hand was cut off and I got fitted with a hook but I’m fine, really.”

“What about that eye patch?”

Oh,” said the pirate, “One day we were at sea, and a flock of birds flew over. I looked up, and one of them shit in my eye.”

“You’re kidding,” said the bartender. “You couldn’t lose an eye just from bird shit.”
the pirate said…

“It was my first day with the hook.”