Reply to the Ed Milligan Peace Garden Photo previously posted:
From Kay Hosmer (77): Crown Point, Ind.

I recognize my dad in this picture, Don Hosmer, on the far right – Kay Hosmer (1977)

Kay, Please ask your dad what he remembers about this picture. Thanks, Gary
Reply from Marlys Hiatt (71): Dunseith, ND
Bernadette and Gary,

Your grandchildren are beautiful. Thanks for the picture. I remember
first seeing Sheryl as a toddler at a big picnic you folks had at their
farm in the hills. I think the picnic was also to introduce Bernadette to
your childhood community. If I am remembering right there was a special
connection between Sheryl and your mom. Is Sheryl named after your mom or
was it something else?

I also really enjoyed Lyle Olson’s horse story. Thanks Lyle and Gary for
putting it on the blog.


The connection between our daughter Sheryl and my mother is with Sheryl’s middle name being Elaine, named after Mom (Sheryl Elaine Stokes Wingate).
With our visits each summer, until my folks moved to Bottineau in 1984, mom normally had a big potluck gathering of friends and relatives at the farm. Then Bernadette took over having the gatherings of Relatives and friends, usually serving a special dinner, in the back yard of our folks house in Bottineau. Your parents and Margie attended several of those gatherings.
The time you are talking about I think was in July of 1980. Sheryl was 6 months old at the time and was getting around very well in her stroller. I remember her taking several tumbles down the inside steps of the folks house in that stroller.

Posted by Eileen Brudwick: Goodyear, Arizona

Harold E. Amundson (09/20/1921 – 01/10/2011)

| Visit Guest Book


AMUNDSON, Harold E..
(Age 89)

Of Spokane, passed away January 10, 2011, at home surrounded by his loving family. He was born September 20, 1921 in Dunseith, North Dakota; the youngest of six siblings. A decorated WWII Veteran, retired from Kaiser Aluminum in 1983. He is survived by Mildred, his wife of 64 years; his daughter and son-in-law Sharon and Fred Buffaloe of Hayden, Idaho; son and daughter-in-law David and Maralou Amundson of League City, TX; 10 grandchildren, 21 great grandchildren and four great-great grandchildren. He served his Jesus well and now rejoices in Heaven. He was loved and will be greatly missed by every one who knew him.
Memorial Service will be held at St. Matthew Lutheran Church, 6905 Country Homes Blvd, Spokane, WA on January 15th at 2 pm. Viewing will be held at Heritage Funeral Home, 508 N. Government Way from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Saturday, January 15th.

Posted Yesterday.

Harold Amundson Passed away:

Message from Susan Fassett Martin (65): Spearfish SD


Gary, Just wanted to let you know, in case you want to post it on the blog that Harold Amundson passed away last Mon morning. He was a brother to Helen Nelson, Dagny Haagenson, Ernie Amundson, Gudrun Wood and uncle to Murl Hill and Carol Carbonneau and my great uncle, plus many more in the Dunseith area. It is 4 degrees here right now and lots of new snow. Yucky!!
Horse Story
From Dick Johnson (68): Dunseith, ND
Gary and Friends,

Well, I might as well throw in one more horse story. Back in the summer of ’60 my folks got me as Welsh mare for my birthday. She was a green broke mare that they bought from Hazel Hiatt. Hazel named her Beauty. She had a colt the next spring and I named it Goldie because of the light color she was at birth. She darkened as she got older and was more of a sorrel. I just rode the mare and the colt ran along for the first couple years. Then I decided she should be broke to ride and I could do it. That was one of my learning experiences. Sharlotte Nordquist was staying here at the farm and we hatched a plan. I had seen a cowboy show on TV where a guy had put a horse blanket over the horses head to cover his eyes and then climbed on and the horse just stood still until he took the cover off the horses head. I had an old bridle and used a dog chain for reins. I didn’t want to try putting a saddle on her as I didn’t want to get my feet caught and get dragged. We got the bridle on her without too much drama and put a grain sack over her eyes. She just stood there, just like the one in the movie. I quietly climbed on and then reached up and took the sack off her head. That’s when we both had a new experience. She went nuts when she realized I was on her back. She did the old crow hop for a while and when that didn’t work she went into a bucking frenzy like I had never experienced before. Several attempts to throw me didn’t work so she broke into a wild gallop and headed for the far side of the pasture and into the timber. The closer we got to the woods I knew this was going to be an even worse scenario so I did another trick I had seen in the movies. I slid down her side and just before I got to the brush I pushed off and was going to roll on the ground. Well, she felt me on her side and jumped and kicked at the same time. She missed me with the kick but I bounced and as she was pulling her foot back ahead, she popped me on the forehead and knocked me cold. When I came to, Sharlotte was standing there bawling her eye’s out. I suppose she didn’t know how bad I was hurt–maybe dead. I never gave up and after a few more tries (not that day) I got the colt to let me ride and she became a pretty good riding pony. The first picture is me on the mare with the colt along side. The other is about four years later on the colt. Thanks Gary!