1/31/2013 (1707)

No Blog yesterday,
For the record, I did not get a blog posted yesterday.
 Happy Birthday Cheryl Sebelius: Rolette, ND
Reply to yesterday’s posting
From Ele Dietrich Slyter (’69): Dunseith, ND
Special thanks to Gary Wall for sharing the two links…he’s right
Savannah would be awesome to teach and the youtube link brought
tears to my eyes…absolutely priceless!  How shameful of our public
representatives to send such a letter to this lady.   
Violet Campbell (Alan’s Mother) Memories
From Dick Johnson (68):  Dunseith, ND
Gary and Friends,

       Many will remember that my mother, Bernice, worked at the bank
for many many years.  She started working for Alan’s father,  Bill
Campbell, and with the exception of a couple years when she taught
school,  worked there right up until the day she died.  She used to have
some cute stories about non-confidential things that happened at the
bank over the years.  One that she told me was when she was working with
Alan’s mother,  Violet Campbell.  A guy came in one day (she didn’t tell
me his name–wasn’t my business) after he had been way too long at one
of the local watering holes and wanted to write a check for cash.
Violet waited on him with her sweet smile.  The guy fumbled for his
glasses and got out his checkbook and tried to get started on the
project.  Mom said that the guy kept trying to get things going and
looked at Violet and with very slurred speech said,  “I don’t really
write much anymore.”  Violet just smiled and waited.  He then tried a
bit more and said,  “I never was very good at writing a check.”  Violet
just smiled and waited.  Finally he finished scribbling his name and
looked at Violet and said,  “You’re right.  It’s intoxication, that’s
what it is.”  Violet hadn’t said a word,  just smiled.  Thanks Gary!

1908 Dunseith Mill Receipt
Posted by Neola Kofoid Garbe:  Bottineau & Minot, ND
San Have Articles published in the Bottineau Courant
Provided by Scott Wager from the Bottineau Courant
Much of this series references my Aunt Lillian Petterson. She was married to Emil Petterson who was a brother to my Dad, Bob Stokes.  The removed ribs and collapsed lung of Lillian were very evident with her posture. She was a hearty gal though enduring much of the hard labor tasks bestowed upon her following her release from San Haven to the time of her death. Lillian passed away in January 1998 at the age of 79. She was such a kind hearted loving dear aunt loved by all. Even though she had no children of her own, she had so many, that for all practical purposes, were her adopted kids. She dearly loved children as all of us nieces and nephews can attest to.
Series Three of Seven
By SCOTT WAGAR Bottineau Courant

In the first 18 months of San Haven, North Dakota’s only state run Tuberculosis sanatorium, the institute had admitted 170 patients and had a long waiting list of patients wanting to be received by the facility for treatment.

As of June 30, 1914, with newly completed cottages the sanatorium had 62 beds; however, there was such a demand for admittance in the state the San in 1920 constructed an Infirmary Building for $10,000 that added 60 beds. In 1927, an addition was added on to the Infirmary at a cost of $125,000 that brought an additional 80 beds. In 1937, another addition was built for $300,000 with 123 beds. In 1938, the original Infirmary was remolded and added 45 more beds.

With the construction of the Infirmary and its two additions a number of problems were solved. First, instead of all patients be being a number of different buildings, they were all housed in the Infirmary. Second, with the completion of the addition in 1938, San Haven for the first time did not have a waiting list for individuals who wanted admission into the sanatorium.

The primary treatment at the San continued to be fresh air, rest and well-balanced diet. San Haven, like sanatoriums throughout the nation, followed a set number of rules they adopted from the physicians who originated the sanatorium, Dr. Edward Trudeau. San haven had a strict routine and the patients were expected to follow the routine precisely.

The late Lillian Petterson (Married to Emil Petterson who was a brother to Bob Stokes), a resident of Bottineau who spent four years at San Haven, spoke of her time at the sanatorium in an oral history she gave State Historical Society of North Dakota in the 1990s.

“They woke us up in the mornings and brought us a basin to clean ourselves after breakfast. Then our mornings were our quiet time. We read and studied our Bibles, and wrote letters, too. I wrote more letters than I ever wrote in my whole life. I wrote several service men in war (WW II), my part for the war effort,” Petterson said. “In the afternoons we had to take naps, after our naps we did fancy work like crocheting and embroidering. In the evenings, we had visitors, or just had had fun. Each bed had a radio with earphones. I was the biggest baseball fan and I always listened to all the games.”

Patients who were well enough to become ambulatory were allowed to work a few short hours a day in different departments at San Haven. Bands, choirs and theater groups (including Dakota College at Bottineau’s Drama Club) from throughout he state entertained patients,

The San had its own U.S. Post Office and its’ own newspaper called the San Piper, which housed its own printing press and was published monthly.

Numerous patients in bed spent their days writing poetry, which were published in the San Piper and eventually collected into an anthology titled, “San Musing.”

In Assembly Hall of the Refractory Building church services were held for the different denominations of the patients. The hall also granted patients movie nights were they were given the opportunity to see the latest movies coming out of Hollywood.

Holidays were always made special for the residents of San Haven. During Christmas time, the grounds were decorated and lighted for the patients to see out f their open windows. Within the Infirmary Building, every floor and each of the patients rooms had a decorated Christmas Trees and each of the patients received a gift from the sanatorium. The staff made fruit cakes, popcorn balls, and boxes of nuts and candy for its residents. On Christmas Day, those who were ambulatory were given a sleigh ride through the Turtle Mountains. 

During Eater, the employees also colored Easter eggs for the patients and on the Fourth of July the San entertained the patients with a fireworks show.       

Entertainment was important for patients because although fresh air, rest and a well balanced diet was the primary treatment, other procedures began to play an important role. By 1920, surgeries began at San Haven which granted patients’ lungs to rest complete, allowing them to heal natural through the body forming a calcification around the TB in lungs, which stopped the disease from spreading.

The procedures to rest the lung was to collapse the infective lung. The surgeries began at San Haven on July 1, 1920, and physicians utilized numerous types of surgical procedures to collapse the lung. Most patients at the San had a procedure called artificial pneumothorax. In the procedure, the surgeons would inject air with a needle into the lining around the lungs causing the lung with TB to collapse.

Unfortunately, artificial pneumothrax would have to be performed numerous times because lungs would naturally fill up with air again. The re-collapsing procedure was called, “refills” because the physicians would “refill” the lung’s lining with air again.

Another procedure performed at San Haven was called phrenemphraxis, where the surgeon would temporary paralysis the phrenic nerve, the nerve that sends message to the brain to control the diaphragm moving up and down. Through this procedure, compression to the phrenic nerve would cause the diaphragm to lift upward, causing negative pressure, collapsing the lung.

If patients were in the advanced stages of TB, surgeons wanted the lung to rest permanently. This was accomplished by a surgery called thoracoplasty where the physician would remove on an average mean seven to eight of the patients’ ribs on the side where the lung was infected. Once the ribs were removed, the lung would collapse permanently.

This was a difficult procedure for patients because they could not use anesthesia because their lungs and bodies could not safely take the anesthetic. So, the patients were given local anesthetic and the surgeon would remove the ribs while they were awake. Thoracoplasty was such a difficult surgery for patients; so, it had to be done through several procedures.

Another phrenic nerve procedure that was completely was called phrenexexresis, where the surgeon would enduringly paralysis the nerve by avulsion collapsing the nerve undyingly.

For Petterson, her TB was so advance when she came to the San, the surgeon’s conducted a thoracoplasty on her. The surgery left her distorted, bending her forward at her side because she had no ribs to keep her posture upright. Petterson spent the remainder of her life in that uncomfortable posture, walking at all times with a cane, but as she stated in her oral interview with the SHSND, it was horrible and painful surgery, but she was alive and cured of her TB when she left San Haven.

Posted by Neola Kofoid Garbe:  Bottineau & Minot, ND
An Oil Boom Takes a Toll on Health Care
Link Provided by Vickie Metcalfe (’70):  Bottineau, ND
Jokes of the day
Posted by Larry Hackman (’66):  Bismarck, ND

Those of you in “our” age group will really appreciate this. The rest of you will soon understand what we are laughing about.

Recently, when I went to McDonald’s I saw on the menu that you could have an order of 6, 9 or 12 Chicken McNuggets.

I asked for a half dozen nuggets.

‘We don’t have a half dozen nuggets,’ said the
teenager at the counter.

‘You don’t?’ I replied.

‘We only have six, nine or twelve.’ was the reply.

‘So I can’t order a half dozen nuggets but I can order six?’

‘That’s right.’

So I shook my head and ordered six McNuggets.

(Unbelievable but sadly true…)

(Must have been the same one I asked for sweetener
and she said they didn’t have any, only Splenda and sugar.)


I was checking out at the local Wal-Mart with just a few items and the lady behind me put her things on the belt close to mine.

I picked up one of those ‘dividers’ that they keep by the

cash register and placed it between our things so they wouldn’t get mixed.


After the girl had scanned all of my items, she picked up the
‘divider’, looking all over for the bar code so she could scan it.

Not finding the bar code, she said to me. ‘Do you know how much this is?’

I said to her ‘I’ve changed my mind. I don’t think I’ll buy that today.’

She said ‘OK.’ and I paid her for the things and left.

She had no clue to what had just happened.

( But the lady behind me had a big smirk on her face as I left)

A woman at work was seen putting a credit card into her floppy drive and pulling it out very quickly.

When I inquired as to what she was doing, she said she was shopping on the Internet and they kept asking for a credit card number, so she was using the ATM ‘thingy.’
(Keep shuddering!!)

I recently saw a distraught young lady weeping beside her car. ‘Do you need some help?’ I asked. She replied. ‘I knew I should have replaced the battery to this remote door opener. Now I can’t get into my car. Do you think they (pointing to a distant convenience store) would have a battery to fit this?’

‘Hmmm, I don’t know. Do you have an alarm, too?’ I asked.

‘No, just this remote thingy.’ she answered,
handing it and the car keys to me. As I
took the key and manually unlocked the door, I
replied. ‘Why don’t you drive over there and
check about the batteries. It’s a long walk….’

PLEASE just lay down before you hurt yourself !!!


Several years ago, we had an Intern who was none too swift. One day she was typing and turned to a secretary and said, ‘I’m almost out of typing paper. What do I do?’ ‘Just use paper from the photocopier’, the secretary told her. With that, the intern took her last remaining blank piece of paper, put it on the photocopier and proceeded to make five ‘blank’ copies.

Brunette, by the way!!


A mother calls 911 very worried asking the dispatcher if she needs to take her kid to the emergency room, the kid had eaten ants. The dispatcher tells her to give the kid some Benadryl and he should be fine. The mother says, ‘I just gave him some ant killer……’

Dispatcher: ‘Rush him in to emergency right now!’

Life is tough. It’s even tougher if you’re stupid!!!!

Someone had to remind me, so I’m reminding you too.
Don’t laugh….it is all true…

Perks of reaching 50 or being over 60 and heading towards 70!

Kidnappers are not very interested in you.

02..In a hostage situation you are likely to be released first.

03.No one expects you to run–anywhere.

04.People call at 9 PM and ask. “Did I wake you?”

05.People no longer view you as a hypochondriac.

06.There is nothing left to learn the hard way.

07.Things you buy now won’t wear out.

08.You can eat supper at 5 PM.

09.You can live without sex but not your glasses.

10.You get into heated arguments about pension plans.

11.You no longer think of speed limits as a challenge.

You quit trying to hold your stomach in, no matter who walks into the room.

13.You sing along with elevator music.

14.Your eyes won’t get much worse.

15. Your investment in health insurance is finally beginning to pay off.

16.Your joints are more accurate meteorologists than the national weather service.

17.Your secrets are safe with your friends because they can’t remember them either.

18.Your supply of brain cells is finally down to manageable size.

19.You can’t remember who sent you this list.

20. And you notice these are all in Big Print for your convenience.

Never, under any circumstances,
take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night !