12/3/2012 (1662)

December 3, 1978 – Our wedding day
34 years ago today I married the beautiful lady of my life, Bernadette.
Bernadette was released from the hospital today. She is not 100%. There was some damage with the mini strokes that she had. I called her doctor this evening and she took her off of one of her meds again hoping that will correct things a bit. It is a time released med, so it will take 24 plus hours to get that out of her system. She just took that med this evening too. I may have to get some full time help to be with her at all times.
Note: Nels and Dad were full brothers. Nels was born in 1904 and Dad in 1915.
 Nels Petterson, Helga Petterson, Bernadette Stokes, Gary Stokes,  Elaine Stokes, Bob Stokes
Blog numbers
Reply from Mel Kuhn (’70):  St. John, ND
You’ve slipped a cog on the last couple posts. You’re in the 1500’s and should be in the 1600’s.
Yes Mel, I noticed my mistake when I went to post yesterday’s blog on our Website. Before we know it, we will be at the 2,000 mark too. The end of this month we start year 6 doing this too. The years are clipping by rather quickly.
Senior Citizen bus Memories
From Vickie Metcalfe (’70): Bottineau, ND

Hello Gary and friends,

My Dad, Cliff, rode the senior citizen bus into Dunseith, three times a week  in the late 1970’s to mid 1980’s.

The driver of the bus, Ole Olinger, was a veteran of WWII military police and originally from Nebraska.  Mrs. Olinger was a retired nurse originally  from  the St. John – Belcourt  area.
Mrs. Olinger passed away in 1983 and Ole in January 1985, a few months before Dad’s passing.
They had fascinating life stories. Does anyone else recall them?
It is my hope Bernadette’s good health continues to be restored.  
For each of you, who have lost dear ones, may the warmth of fond memories lighten the grief this holiday season.

As ever, Vickie
Snow Planes
Message/Pictures from Dick Johnson (’68): Dunseith, ND
Gary and Friends,

     Last winter I started rebuilding an old snowplane that I got out of
a tree row north of Bismarck.  My son found it when he was hunting deer
with some friends of his.  He called me on his cell phone and asked if
he should check with the owner to see if he would sell it.  He knows my
passion for these old machines.  I told him to go for it and he was able
to buy it, and the aircraft engine for it, that the guy had in his
shop.  The aircraft engines are now worth too much money to use on
snowplanes so I used an automotive engine I had in my shop.  It’s a V6
Buick and a bell housing from an inboard boat.  The rest of the prop
drive I made from other parts I could find locally.  Being the snowplane
has an automotive engine, I was also able to use a heater for the cab
just like those used in a car.  It’s nice and warm in this one.  The air
cooled aircraft engines we run on other snowplanes have to have the
exhaust pipes run through the cab to keep you from freezing while
driving them. They are also hard to regulate the heat to coincide with
the outside temperature.  I don’t have all the ‘bugs’ worked out of the
snowplane yet but I’m getting closer.  I sold/ am selling this snowplane
to a fellow from Sherwood, ND.  He’s been very patient as he knows I
don’t have a lot of spare time to work on this project. It was a fun
project and I made something fun out of extra stuff I had lying around.
Just thought some of the folks might like to see the before and after
pictures of the project and it might just stir some memories from some
of the old snowplane guys who are reading this.  Thanks Gary!