Dick Johnson’s (68) reply to Dick Ziegler (Viola Hobbs Ziegler 54) message below:

Yep, Vi’s dad, Allen Hobbs, did buy scrap iron, along with hides
and fur. I can remember when Vi and I were going together, Allen
showed me a few of his muskrat hides he had stretched. I had never
before, or since, seen so many hides in one place. He had quite a
business going, and seemed to be liked by most people.
Don’t worry, you’re not being a pest. It’s nice to communicate with
someone from Vi’s old stomping grounds. Are you still living in
Dunseith? The last time we were back there, I believe was the year we
retired, 1996. We stopped in for a nice visit with Rodney and Marlene
Armentrout. (Not sure of that spelling.) Vi is still in contact with Marlene’s
sister, Bertha Kraft, who lives in Pocatello, Idaho.
We would be interested in visiting Gary Stokes’ site, but don’t have the address. Would appreciate it if you would send it to us.
Dick Ziegler’s message to Dick Johnson:
Dick and Viola,
I am being a pest, I know, but may I ask Viola if her dad, Allen Hobbs,
used to buy scrap iron. I was only about 9 or 10 years old when my dad
sold an old tractor to someone for scrap. I thought it was Mr. Hobbs. It
was the first time Dad let me drive to town, as I had to follow him,
with him on the old Twin Cities tractor. There has been much discussion
of Viola’s family on the last couple days ‘Gary Stokes site’. I hope
you’re getting the messages too! Thanks Dick and Viola!
Dick Johnson
Reply from Dick Ziegler (Viola Hobbs Ziegler 54):
Vi says the Leroy mentioned in the article was Leroy Afton, to
the best of her recollection. She said they didn’t live in Dunseith
very long, maybe two or three years. I didn’t put Leroy’s last name
in the article, as I didn’t know it, and I couldn’t ask Vi, as she didn’t
know anything about the article. I wanted it to be a surprise to her,
if the article was ever published. Was it ever a surprise to her.
We belong to a senior bowling league, and last week I was down
with a cold and didn’t bowl. Someone in the league happened to
subscribe to Reminisce Extra, and received his copy on the day
the league bowled, just one day before we received our copies.
He brought his copy to the bowling alley, and showed everyone
there. It caught Vi completely off guard, and I couldn’t have planned
it better if I had tried. She was totally surprised, and received many
very nice compliments from the people there. When she came home
and told me about what had happened, it surprised me too, as I
hadn’t been made aware the article had been published. Pretty
neat, huh?
Dick Ziegler
P.S. Thank you for putting us on your mailing list. We really
appreciate it.
Reply from Dick Johnson (68):
Gary and Friends,

I have to apologize for calling Arvilla Hobbs, Viola, as I know better.
Maybe the ‘grey matter’ is deteriorating! Sorry. Thanks to Ginger and
Vickie for your respective insight on Alcide Lajimodier. Interesting ,
to say the least. Thanks Gary!


Reply from Mona Dionne Johnson (48):
Gar;y: Our cottage was not very far from the Metigoshe Store (Hobbs),
perhaps a mile, and we went there often. If we were working on the
boathouse or something and took a break, Chuck, Ross (our son) and I
would go for a snack, and this is where we met Sylvia Bergan, as she
worked for them and she baked the BEST frosted ginger cookies that I
have ever tasted. Ross just loved them, and was raring to go when we
said we were going to the store. Harvey & Arvilla were so well liked at
the Lake and ran a good business, and would help you in any way they
could. We missed them when they moved away.
Mona Dionne Johnson, ’48
Mona, Now that you mention it, I do remember Sylvia Bergan working at the Hobbs store. Being good friends with Oscar & Sylvia, I think was the reason we were at the Hobbs store often. Sylvia also cooked for the Boy scouts camp at Lake Metigoshe for many years. She was well known for her baking and cooking abilities. Sylvia will be 97 this year. She is living at the long term care facility at Saint Andrews hospital in Bottineau. Sylvia and a lot of the older members of the Metigoshe Lutheran church Ladies Aid served lunch at both my parents funerals, Dad in 2000 and mom in 2004. It sure brought back some good memories seeing all those folks doing what I remember seeing them doing, many times, in my growing up days. Sylvia was an aunt to Clayton Bergan. Gary
Reply from Ruby Krause (former teacher):
Thank you for the birthday greetings! What a surprise to see that message at the top of your daily letter. I enjoy these very much, even though I don’t know many of the old timers. We moved here in 1970. Ruby Krause

Reply from Edna (Susie) Millang (60):
Gary – Happy birthday Ruby. January 24 is also Minnie Flynn’s birthday. Also Dorren – I did not know that Allen Hobbs name was Harvey. Maybe Viola could bring us up to date on this. Thanks again Gary for all that you do. Susie Millang (60)





Message from Lloyd Awalt (44):


Hello Gary,

In 1941 my parents, John and Gertrude Awalt built their home down by the Depot. Art Sime and Oliver Handland helped Dad to build it.


Living so close to the depot had it’s draw backs. One day Irene Teal came over to inform Mother that one of the hens from the barn had gotten over to the depot and sat on the undercarriage of the train and rode to Thorne before getting off. The train crew returned Mothers hen that evening on their return to Dunseith.


One Spring Earl Fassett had a mother ewe that died giving birth to a baby lamb. Out of the kindness of his heart, he gave the lamb to my sister Eleanor. The lamb was a PAIN! It was the lamb from “Mary Had A Little Lamb”, it followed Eleanor everywhere. To prevent that it was tied to the clothesline. The crazy lamb fell in love with the train, every evening when the train came in, that blasted lamb would try everything to get loose and run to the depot and crawl under the train. The train workers had their hands full whenever it got loose. You could find conductors, engineers, Bill Teal, Irene Teal, Mother, Emma and Bonnie crawling around under the train trying to catch the lamb. (Lucky Eleanor was always at work at the Drug Store so she didn’t have to crawl under the train.) Bless their hearts the train crew would always leave the train sitting still until the lamb was caught and returned home. Then they would take the train into the round house. This went on all summer and into early fall until Eleanor finally shipped that lamb.


Lloyd Awalt




Reply from Bev Morinville Azure (73):


lol first time all four of us had been together since our dad passed away that was 27 years. With Clarence and I running around the world for so many years it was hard to always get together. Now with Debbie being so sick I am wondering if we will all even be together again, Thanks Sharon they have Deb and I mixed up but everyone always did mix us up .and i just don’t see why she looks like dad I look like mom.
Bev, I’m the one that got you guys mixed up on that photo. After I sent it, I realized the mistake. I do apologize. Gary