Mildred Fulsebakke’s 90th B-day – posted by Gary Fulsebakke (71):
Hi Gary,
I thought some of the folks out there would like to know that we are
having a 90th birthday celebration for our mother, Mildred Fulsebakke
(Mrs. James Fulsebakke) on Sunday February 22, at the Good Samaritan
Home in Bottineau. The celebration will begin at 3 pm. with a short
program and refreshments to follow. The public is cordially invited to
attend. Thanks for the blog and keep those memories coming! Gary
Gary, I remember you mother well. She and my mother participated in a lot of the same community organizations/activities in our younger days. Your family farm was located near the west side of the Peace Garden. I remember well, in the summer of 1958, when your dad, my dad and a few others car pooled together to work at the Minot Air Force base. That was a very long commute.
I wish your mother a very happy 90th birthday. I saw her, at the Oak Manor apartments in 2007, when we were back there. She looked great! I understand she recently moved to the Good Samaritan Home. Gary
Mavis Hagen’s Obituary posted by Neola Kofoid Garbe:


Mavis Hagen, age 56, of Bottineau, went to her eternal rest with her Savior on Thursday, February 12, 2009, at a Bismarck hospital following a courageous battle with cancer. Her funeral will be held on Thursday, February 19, at 2 p.m. at the Bottineau High School Gymnasium. Visitation will be Wednesday, February 18, from 10 a.m. until 9 p.m. with a prayer service held at 7 p.m. at the Nero Funeral Home in Bottineau. Burial will be at the Oak Creek Cemetery in Bottineau. In lieu of flowers, the family requests the memorials be given to the March for Hope, 403 Bennett St., Bottineau, ND 58318.

Mavis A. Hagen, a daughter of Orthon and Deverne (Klebe) Froseth, was born on October 26, 1952, at Bottineau. She was reared there and graduated from Bottineau High School in 1970. Mavis felt “2 teach is 2 touch a life 4 ever”; therefore she earned her Bachelor of Science in Education from Mayville State in 1974. Mavis began touching lives through teaching in Medina, ND, and in the fall of 1979 she moved to Bottineau. She continued her passion of teaching 3rd graders at the Bottineau Central School. On July 8, 1978, she married Arthur Hagen in Bottineau, where they had since resided.

Mavis was a member of the Our Savior’s Lutheran Church in Bottineau. She was active in the March for Hope, Relay for Life and many other educational and community activities.

Her loving family includes: her husband Arthur of Bottineau; daughter, Devonne (Jonathon) Leonard of Okinawa, Japan; son, Joshua (Keisha) Hagen of Bismarck; grandchildren, Keiandra Hagen and Jarik Leonard; mother, Deverne (Floyd) Thom of Bottineau; brother, Dorvine (Judy) Froseth of Bismarck; sister, Evette (Bruce) Bierman of Newburg; mother-in-law, MaryAnn Hagen of Bottineau; brother-in-law, Tom Larsen (Christine) of Chehalis, WA; many nieces, nephews and those she touched through teaching.

Those loved ones who she joins in heaven include her father, Orthon, sister, Charla Larsen and father-in-law, Clarence Hagen.





From Paula Fassett (71):

Hi Gary and all,

I just received an e-mail message from Dunseith and heard that Marilyn (Peltier) Allery has been hospitalized with an aneurism – or maybe several. I don’t know details, so won’t guess. Marilyn was one of my classmates – Class of ’71. She is a beautiful person – inside and out – and I pray for her recovery and hope that all of you will add Marilyn and her family to your prayers.

Paula Fassett


Peltier Marilyn PO Box 833 Dunseith, ND 58329 (701) 244-5266 marilyna@tmcwfs.net






From Kenny Nerpel (65):


It was great hearing from Lynn Henriksen. I remember the year my
family spent in the telephone exchange at Kelvin quite well. I
think this must have been about 1960 or 1961 when I was in the
seventh or eighth grade. I also remember the kindness that her
mother “Midge” displayed to the folks in the community. I am
saddened to hear of Hal’s accident. I remember him as being such
a pleasant and well behaved child.

A highlight of the time I spent there was when I got to fill in
as the “operator” when my mother took a break.

I remember long walks in the woods behind the store, clearing off
a patch of ice on Lyde Lake for skating, and swimming trips to
School Section Lake with Rick, being ever so careful to not get
any sand or water in his car. Besides the central office there
were also a few other buildings near the store. Directly behind
the store was an empty cabin and to the North of that, down a
country lane, was a little three room building occupied by Peter
Wellington Poole.

I knew I had some information on Poole somewhere, so for the last
few days I had been searching for it with no success. I finally
resorted to asking my wife to help and within 5 minutes she had
located it. Go figure. On November 6, 1971 the Minot Daily News
published an article about the then 89 year old man.

Some of the highlights:

His small three-room home had no electricity, telephone, or
running water. He hauled water from a spring about 25 feet south
of his home. He used a kerosene lamp which he purchased from a
former occupant,Tom Kirkwold, whose wife once ran the Kelvin
telephone exchange. He spent much of his time cutting wood for
his kitchen range and wood heater in his bedroom. He didn’t like
coal because of the cost and a preference for good old Turtle
Mountain Poplar. Poole was a veteran of WWI serving with the
35th Division after being called up in 1917 with the National
Guard at Rolla. He was very vague about details of his army
career. Poole indicated that he had traveled almost around the
world with the secret service and had the job of scouting ahead
for the enemy. He said that when he returned to the United
States his service records were missing and it wasn’t until 1945
that he was able to establish a record of service in order to
qualify for compensation. His only income at the time the
article was written was the $121 a month that he received in
compensation from his military service. He was born in Ontario
and received no formal education. However, he did learn to read
and write. At that time he had no car and his main contact with
the outside world came from visits with friends at the store and
tavern at Kelvin during the day.





From Gary Metcalfe (57):


Reply to Mel Kuhn
To answer your question Mel, if you stepped off of your Uncle Jimmy Birkland’s porch and walked 1 1/2 miles south, then 1/8 mile east, you would be at Rabbit City Lake. I think I have covered some of the shinaningans that happened there in the 20’s and 30’s in earlier blogs. The end of the 30’s was the end of Hillside Twp. as local people knew it. As the government bought most all the township, on behalf of the Native American people.
I think it would be safe to say that Fish Lake, that Crystal was referring too was 1 mile east of Johnny Belgarde’s on the same side of the road in Holmes Twp. John lived on the old Hosmer place. And you are right, Belcourt Lake was better known as Fish Lake.
What I remember about George Gottbrecht Manufacturing was a brand new style of pump jack. All farmers needed a pump jack to pump water for the cattle. Ours like most was dangerous, if you did not lose your tongue on the pump handle you may lose your fingers in the big exposed gears on the pump jack. George’s pump jack was enclosed and the only one I ever saw was LeRoy Strong’s. Then the electric came and we went to electric motors.
Gary Metcalfe
Reply from Tom Hagen (51):
Hi, Gary, just a quick reply to Linda Gardner from Bottineau, I am her
mom, Lillian Wenstad Gardner’s first cousin, as her Grandma and my dad
were brother and sister. We may have met when she was little but she
would remember Orvin.

We love E-mail letters, Love Tom and Dot



From Neola Kofoid Garbe:

Hi Everyone,
I visited with my surgeon, Dr. Lane Lee, today about the lump in my breast. He, too, thinks it’s from “over-lifting” and isn’t concerned about it. If he isn’t concerned, neither am I. :) Apparently, it will go away on its own.
I have an appointment with Dr. Freiberg (oncologist) on Wednesday. I’m assuming a radiation treatment schedule will be set up at that time. I’m guessing they won’t start immediately, as “their” schedule is most likely full for awhile. This means I’ll be attending the special entertainment (Highway 43) at Good Samaritan on February 22. :)
Unless Dr. Freiberg has other ideas, I plan to return to Bottineau on Friday. Mom has an appointment with Dr. Lee on Monday (Feb. 23), so I’ll be her chauffer that day. Jim usually takes Mom to her appointments, but he has a really busy February schedule (driving the “Forestry” sports teams to their events). Unless treatments start soon, I’ll stay in Bottineau for awhile.
So, all is well in my world; I hope it is in your world, too. :)
Message/Picture from Susan Fassett Martin (65):
This photo is dated 1906 and says,”left to right–Steve Cooke, ? <
Hilda Wridberg, standing by plant, Paul LaFazer. Interior of Steve
Cooke’s “Turtle Mt Restaurant” Dunseith ND.” Steve Cook was Midge
Hendricksens father I believe hence, Lynn, Rick and Dana’s
grandfather. Enjoy!!! Susan
Turtle Mt Restaurant (Kelvin) 1906
L to R: Steve Cooke, ?, Hilda Wridberg, Paul LaFazer